Tuesday, April 04, 2006

New chapters...

Well, it was an interesting month last month. I know some of you keep checking my blog to keep updated as to all the changes but I haven't taken the time to sit back and think about it until today, I've been way too busy.

We spent half of March looking for a new place, and finally found one (seemed a bit too "coincidental" in the way we discovered it - it was meant for us) and then spent the next week frantically packing because we were able to move in there early. It's a 2 bedroom condo in McKenzie Towne. It's down-sizing for sure but it's cute, we fit well in here and it's good for our Julene-hasn't-had-a-job-in-5-months finances. It's a main floor condo right behind all the stores and restaurants on 130th Ave. Plus there are bike paths right beside us and we have found since we've moved in that we walk a lot more since it takes longer to drive to these places than walk to them. And we are a short walk from my friend Becky and Michelle's place. That's a bonus, especially in this beautiful weather. We were amazed at the amount of space in this place as we moved all of our stuff in from a 3 bedroom house. We also have a large main floor patio that fit our large patio table that we were hoping we wouldn't have to put in storage. I was sad to leave the other house at first but now that we have settled here it feels like HOME. I have included one picture of the dining room/kitchen/living room and will add more later as we get more of the rooms settled. I still have to organize our bedroom and the office better and hang pictures and then we are done.

This is also my last day of unemployment - YIPEEE!!! I've thoroughly enjoyed being unemployed and these past months have been some of the best that I have ever had! I learned to cook well and LOVE IT (which anyone who knows me, knows that is a big accomplishment), I got to spend time writing and reading and studying and learning and doing things I loved. I was so blessed to have this small sabbatical and to leave it feeling so refreshed, focused and confident of all I learned in that time. Once I realized the direction that I wanted my career to go in and where my strengths would best be used, I started my job search in that direction (event management and public relations). I applied for many jobs including ones that weren't in the new direction but were what I did before and FINALLY I got a call from 2 places. The first of which was the Canadian Cancer Society. They had a job for Special Event Assistant. It was a great interview and the more I found out about the organization, the job, the benefits and the team, the more excited I was for this job. It seemed to be exactly what I was looking for! And wouldn't you know it, yesterday they called and offered me the position! I could barely contain my excitement and agreed to start tomorrow (Wed, Apr 5) because they have a high-profile event on Thursday that they would like me to help with. I'll have to hit the ground running and it'll be a steep learning curve but the challenge should be FUN!! God is so good! Just when Stephen and I both started to be discouraged because I wasn't getting any leads, He provided the perfect opportunity for me. It's an organization that I can be passionate about, that makes a difference. I was told in the interview how rewarding the job is when you meet people whose lives are impacted directly by your work and they are so grateful for the effort you make to better their lives. It's a brand new chapter and it is finally the direction that I have wanted my career to go in for years and I am so excited for the experience that I am going to gain for my future goals. I will continue my writing (please friends, hold me to that) and one day I will be able to plan conferences to minister to women.

And to top it off, I got a new haircut that I really like - isn't that just the icing on the cake? I went in with an idea of what I wanted (short and layered) and the stylist had another idea for me which I agreed to (not short, layered, thinned out with bangs). It's a subtle shape update and I really like it. I'll add a picture of that one of these days as well.

So this has been a month of change, lots of change, some of it was forced and I had to get used to it, but in the end it is all very good, because my heavenly Father is good and He is my Almighty Provider. I thank Him for all He has done and is doing in my life, which is far more than I could ever ask or imagine!

5 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

Hey Julene,
I am so excited for you about your job and your cute place. Isn't God good. He gives us abundantly before we even ask! I enjoyed your updates! Love, Aunty Sharon

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger sevenstroms said...

Hey Julene,
It's so fun to see your place!!! I just love this blogging thing! Also, congrats on your new job! You will be great! Send a picture of your sassy haircut!!! It'll be so great to keep in touch this way!
Bye for now, Susanne

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! A place to live and a cool job!! I'm excited to see where God leads you in the next while. And don't worry - I'll be there encouraging to write etc...I am known to be quite the pest when keeping people accountable! :)

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Anthony and Kim said...

Hey Julene!!
It was so cool to hear how things are going for you!!
Your place looks so cute!
Best of luck tomorrow with your new job!
Kim

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Stender Statement said...

Hey cuz...sounds like things are going so great! Praise God. He just knows best. I'm enjoying your updates...keep em' coming.
Love ya, Nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home