New Job
Well, you've seen the new place so now I'll talk about the new job. I've been putting it off because I have had contradictory feelings about my new venture.
Working at the Canadian Cancer Society is fantastic! I love the people that I get to work with, I love being able to meet all kinds of people at fundraising events and see the dedication so many people have, I love the fun/great events I get to be a part of and I am fascinated by what I am learning about holding fundraising events, the non-profit world and the incredible things that Canadian Cancer Society does as an organization.
That being said, it's a whole new world for me, one that I don't know a lot about and have had little experience with. An 8 hour day for me, trying to learn and retain as much as I can while I work, has proven to be exhausting! Once you've been at a workplace for awhile and understand the reasoning behind the processes and how it all works together, you can go into neutral for a lot of what you do because you know it so well. I'm no where near that place yet! My mind has to be functioning in high gear most of the day every day. I find I have very little energy left when I leave work and that has had an effect on my marriage, my time with God, my social life, the tidiness of my house, the quality of food I eat and any writing that I wanted to be doing at this point. Even updating this blog and reading e-mails has fallen behind. My weekends are spent doing the work I don't have energy for during the week and then they're gone and the cycle begins again. And I am so grateful for my job that I feel bad that I feel frustrated so often. It is getting better though as I learn to balance and get used to it. One proof that it is getting better is me sitting here, updating this site. I have had some hesitation in how to write about this new experience. Because it has been so great ... and yet so frustrating.
One event that I have the opportunity of being very involved with is the Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life on May 26th and 27th. I get to help with planning, set up and I also get to praticipate. There are a lot of walks and runs out there for various organizations but this one is different. It is an overnight event where teams camp out and take turns doing the 12 hour relay, which also has tents for great entertainment and activity around the track that you can stop off at throughout the night. It starts with a victory lap for cancer survivors to celebrate their lives. As the darkness falls, luminaries are lit around the track to honor survivors we know and to rememeber loved ones who didn't make it. As I prepare for this I think of those who I know who didn't make it that I will be remembering and those I know who did that I will be honoring and I am very excited to be a part of it and that they will be honored! You can check out my personal Relay For life web page at
https://secureccs.ca/?inv=ace576b7-4271-4bc3-8edd-2f8af5ec1320.
Anyway, once again, sorry its taken me so long to do this. I've been thinking about it for weeks but well, now you know why nothing was updated ....
http://julenerenee.blogspot.com/">
Hold Fast


1 Comments:
"Because it has been so great yet so frustrating" is one of the comments you made in your post. How true that is of a new job but it is also true of being a stay at home mom for instance. Heather has said that many times as she falls into bed at night just to start it all over again in the morning. Julene, you will be super at whatever you do!!!! I have missed seeing your writings. I was slowly reading through them and you are an excellant writer!!!! So much food for thought. Have you ever thought about putting them together in a book?
Post a Comment
<< Home