Wednesday, June 07, 2006

We'll be celebrating Canada Day ... in the USA


I have a wonderful husband!

I was feeling disappointed last week. Kirsten had called to let me know that her and Jeff and the kids would be in Colorado visiting my parents for a few weeks at the end of June and beginning of July. She wanted to know if we could make it since the rest of the family would all be there at that time. That's a very busy time at my work with all the head shaves as the Canadian school year ends, finishing the Relay For Life events we are putting on all around Alberta and all the Stampede events and there was only about a short time that I might be able to get away over the Canada Day long weekend. Also, I wouldn't want to go without Stephen and we'd have to find some plane tickets at really good prices. I talked to him about it and he really thought it would be great to be able to be there with everybody else in my family in the summertime. But, his work is extremely busy at the time as well. After weighing the emotional pros and logical cons, we decided that maybe next year it would work out. Little did I know that the whole time he was pushing the frustratingly practical side of the discussion, he was thinking something entirely different!

The next day at work, with a couple of my coworkers in my office, I opened a curious e-mail from Stephen. It was a confirmation of the plane tickets he had just purchased for us to fly to Colorado to be with my family for 5 days over the long weekend! We get to celebrate Canada Day with all of them! My coworkers were taken aback and quickly rushed to see if I was okay as the shocked look on my face quickly crumpled into tears. It took a bit to get an explanation out. Good thing they were women and my friends, they understood my emotional outburst.

As my sister Kirsten said when I told her, "What a guy, that Stephen!" We get to celebrate Canada Day with our family. Even though it's in the USA it couldn't be any better!

3 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger redhouse4 said...

YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!! We are getting so excited to see you guys! I am so glad that it worked out for you to come. It is going to be a very fun Canada Day this year! I am looking forward to Target and cream cheese wontons! (and Mt Dew, and coffee in the morning, and late night visiting, and shopping, andlunch at Deliworks.......I could go on and on) We are going to have a blast for those few short days and make the most of them! I love you both!
Kirsten

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Julene, I am so happy for you guys that you get to go to Colorado for those special days with the family. Spending time together is just wonderful and especially when you can celebrate Canada Day! How great is that!!!! Cherish each day! Heather and Duane and fam are leaving early Sat. morning to go to Fergus for a week (I want to jump into their suitcase) Duane is a delegate to the Annuals so they made a holiday of it as well. Of course Sue and Nanc are so excited!!! Probably some of the same feelings that Kirsten has about you coming!! Big hugs to mine brother and his lovely wife, and lots of love to all of you as you get together.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger sevenstroms said...

That's so great that it all worked out and what a fun surprise!!! Your hubby is so thoughtful to do that!!!! Have so much fun with your family....those times are the best..!! Even if the time is short! Loveya, Sus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home